YPARD is an international movement by Young Professionals FOR Young Professionals for Agricultural Development. YPARD operates as a network; it is not a formalized institution.
At the heart of YPARD as a movement are its members, who are encouraged to become active in their area, spread the news about YPARD to other young professionals, encourage a stronger voice of youth in their own organizations and share their views and ideas with other young professionals in the network.
This global on-line and off-line communication and discussion platform is meant to enable and empower young agricultural leaders around the world to shape sustainable food systems.
A food secure world without poverty where young people are enabled to fully contribute
Enabled and empowered young agricultural leaders shaping sustainable food systems.
- Teamwork: We create and nurture opportunities to unleash the potential of working together well
- Respect: We celebrate and harness diverse opinions, ideas and perspectives
- Sharing: We openly share what we have, recognizing it benefits us all
- Love: We care and support each other and the planet
- To ensure long term sustainability of YPARD
- To be a key influencer in the strategic direction of youth engagement in sustainable food systems
To enable young people in agriculture shape sustainable food systems
To be an innovative and supportive global team
- April 2005, EFARD in Zurich, Switzerland: a small group of young scientists observes that an important policy debate was taking place, but with very little involvement of young scientists and decides to take action
- July 2005, Rome, Italy: meeting between the group of young professionals and representatives from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the Global Forum for Agricultural Research (GFAR), Bioversity International and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
- December 2005, Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), Marrakech, Morocco : side event - roundtable with the topic: “How to Increase Young People's Involvement in Agricultural Research for Development (ARD)?”
- March-June 2006, Bern, Switzerland: meeting with SDC; initial funding proposal discussed and signed.
- May-July 2006, Wageningen, The Netherlands & Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany: formulation of the vision, mission, objectives, governance structure and short and long-term activities for the platform and preparations for the official launch of YPARD.
- 8th of November 2006, triennial conference of the GFAR, in New Delhi, India: the Young Professional’s Platform for Agricultural Research for Development is officially launched during a side event
- October 2008: YPARD Charter validated by the official Steering Committee