SOCODEVI is a Canadian network of cooperative and mutual enterprises that share their technical expertise and knowledge with partners in developing countries.
Place of Work:
Monrovia, Liberia with frequent travel to rural areas.
February 2017 to March 2018
The director provides guidance and management of the project to strengthen the cocoa and coffee sector in Liberia in close coordination with authorities from the Ministry of Agriculture and the program management unit. The project consists of improving access to financing, inputs, technology and marketing for 3,750 cocoa and/or coffee farmers in organizations and cooperatives in the counties of Bong, Nimba, Grand Gedeh and River Gee.
Revitalization of the cocoa and coffee value chains is part of the strategy for generating additional wealth for the various links in these sectors. The project provides assistance to strengthening the competencies of farmers and cooperative leaders and promotes sustainable business links between producer organizations/cooperatives and certain private actors in civil society.
- Responsible for management and administration of the project.
- Management of his or her work plan and of the human, material and financial resources placed at his or her disposal to achieve results in an efficient manner.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with government institutions in the cocoa chain and private organizations.
- Coordinate annual work plans, activity reports and financial reports.
- Draw up terms of reference to conduct various studies and technical support missions.
- Coordinate preparation of pertinent training programs for agroforestry and organizational aspects.
- Strengthen the capacity for management within cooperative organizations for farmers.
- Oversee introduction of systems to monitor and control achievement of results.
- Provide advice upon request from the Ministry of Agriculture and/or other key Ministry officials.
- Support SOCODEVI business development in Liberia and West Africa.
- Work experience in Africa, ideally with project(s) financed by the World Bank.
- 8 years of professional experience relevant to the functions including at least 5 years in the cocoa chain.
- Experience in organizational development, creation of associative enterprises or cooperatives in the cocoa sector.
- Bachelor degree in agro-economics, management, administration or the equivalent.
- Demonstrated skills in project management and guidance.
- Experience in personnel management.
- Experience in georeferenced databases.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English.
We offer competitive remuneration with a full range of benefits. Please forward your curriculum vitae no later than January 8, 2017 to the attention of Alicia Laso: SOCODEVI, 850, avenue Ernest Gagnon, bureau 160, Québec, (Québec) G1S 4S2 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.